Copper Relief Panel by Hermon A. MacNeil above the entrance to the Marquette Building at 140 South Dearborn Street illustrating how Father Jacques Marquette travelled by canoe with Native American Indians along the Chicago River.

Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette was a French-Canadian explorer with Louis Joliet during 1674-1675, who recorded his discovery journey through Illinois country by providing the first European documented description of the site of Chicago.

Owen F. Aldis was a real estate developer, fanatic historian, and one of the building’s original owners, who translated Father Jacques Marquette’s original journal in 1891, thus christening the structure with his name and inspiring artists to illustrate the explorers’ journeys with their Native American companions at the Marquette Building, a national historic landmark honoring the history of Chicago’s expedition by Marquette and Joliet.

The rotunda mosaic was designed by J.A. Holzer of the Tiffany Company.  The glass colored mosaic panels are detailed artistic renditions depicting passages from the original Marquette journal detailing the journey of the explorers accompanied by Native American Indians wearing medallions, trophies, and illustrating characters representing period costumes, coat of arms, weapons, and historic icons.

                                           Marquette Building, 140 S. Dearborn St. Chicago
                                                                MacArthur Foundation

Advertisements